Friday 4 January 2013

Restaurant Review -- Acme Cafe and Where to get brunch in Vancouver

New: Restaurant Review -- Acme Cafe and Where to get brunch in Vancouver


So during my last few weeks in Vancouver, I decided to pound down my list of brunch/breakfast places that I just had to try. My list included Red Wagon, Flying Pig, Little Nest, Acme Cafe and Two Chefs (Read more to see my top 10 Vancouver Brunch Places list below).

So far, one of my favourites has been Acme Cafe. Although I did really enjoy it, I do have my reservations about it because my dining companion unfortunately got food poisoning from her breakfast. 



Breakfast at Acme Cafe on West Hastings

Acme Cafe is located just around the corner from the Woodwards building. There is plenty of street parking, but like everywhere in Downtown Vancouver, you have to pay for it. We got a wonderful window seat and the restaurant was relatively empty with only a few other tables occupied (this was on a weekday morning). 


Although they had a large array of different pastries including cakes, fruity loaves, cookies and brownies, I went for the savoury brunch option. I ordered the Breakfast Croissant ($8.50). This consisted of a nice, medium sized croissant filled with ham, Swiss cheese, a hard-boiled egg and a side of salad and fruit. 

Breakfast Croissant with ham and Swiss cheese at Acme Cafe

Very simple, tasty and definitely filling. We also ordered the Acme signature dish, a Baked Eggs Benny ($10.75). Upon ordering we were informed that this wasn’t a traditional eggs Benedict. Acme’s version was similar to a quiche. The eggs are baked together with the English muffin, eggs and ham topped with Hollandaise sauce. The dish also includes a side of fruit salad, a spring salad and shredded potatoes (similar to rosti). We also ordered a few strips of traditional bacon on the side (typical, tasty, mouthwatering bacon). 



Baked Eggs Benny at Acme Cafe in Vancouver

I only had a few bites of this, but thought it was quite tasty and I really enjoyed this baked variation since I’m not overly fond of runny eggs. My friend however did not quite enjoy it as it made her quite sick afterwards.

Overall, I enjoyed my brunch at Acme. The service was prompt and friendly, the (unlimited) coffee was drinkable and the space was clean.

The following rating is based strictly on their breakfast menu.

Prices: $8.50 - $12.50

Location: 51 West Hastings St, Vancouver 
Rating: 3.5-4/5. It’s hard to rate this one because my friend got sick after her experience here. Just based on the food and service though, I think I’d return. The portions were good, the prices were reasonable and I quite enjoyed the food. Hopefully it was a one-time thing! 

Where to get a good Brunch or Breakfast in Vancouver


(Ranked in order of price)

1. Bon’s Off Broadway ($2.95 up)| Breakfast: All day, everyday

2. Little Nest ($4.50 - $13)| Breakfast: Starts at 9AM Monday – Sunday

3. Café Relagade ($5.95 - $15.95)| Brunch: Tuesday-Thursday 10:30AM – 2:30PM, Friday-Sunday 8:30AM – 2:30PM

4. Red Wagon ($6.95-$14.75)| Breakfast: Monday – Friday starts at 8AM, Saturday – Sunday Starts at 9AM Brunch: Sunday 9AM – 4PM

5. La Brasserie ($7 - $15)| Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11AM – 3PM

6. Two Chefs and a Table ($8-$13) |Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 9:30 AM – 2PM

7. Acme Café ($8.50 - $12.50)| Breakfast: Monday – Friday 8AM – 11AM, Saturday & Sunday: All Day

8. The Flying Pig ($10 - $12)| Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:30AM to 2:30 PM

9. Café Medina ($12-$16)| Breakfast: 9AM-12PM Brunch: Sunday & Saturday 9AM – 3PM

10. Twisted Fork ($13.50) |Brunch: Friday – Sunday 10AM – 2:30PM



Acme Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. I'm sorry your friend became ill. Was it confirmed as a case of food poisoning by a doctor, and not viral? The eggs benny is prepped in a large tray every day, and if it caused food poisoning it would have made many other people (including yourself if you tried it) ill also. We had no other comments about people becoming sick. We have very little storage space at the cafe, and food supplies are delivered daily in small quantities. We very seldom have time for food to go bad! I recently saw the writer at a major food blog retracting his statement that he had gotten food poisoning from one of our competitors when it was confirmed he had Norwalk virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Acme, thanks for dropping by. We're not sure yet, I think she was having it checked out, but hopefully it isn't. I know I'll be back for another sandwich though!

      Delete