What's up: Halloween cupcakes and a great new cupcake recipe
I got this recipe from Full Fork Ahead although I've seen it on a few other websites so not sure where the original source is. She uses a fluted pastry cutter to cut out her squares. If you've got one, by all means use it, I did not, so they don’t look quite as fancy, but the taste is all the same.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup of butter
- 8 ounces aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (something strong for a little extra kick)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons ice water (I used about 2.5)
- Combine shredded cheeses, butter, and salt until combined well. Mix in flour until a crumbly dough forms. Add ice water carefully until dough forms.
- Flatten dough into disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once dough is chilled, unwrap and roll out into a thin sheet (about 1/8th of an inch) on a floured surface. Cut dough into desired shape, I cut them into little squares to mimic Cheese Nibs.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes at 375 degrees until the crackers are puffed up and golden brown. Cool before eating so the crackers get a chance to crisp up.
- Coarsely grate the cheese otherwise it’ll just melt into the dough
- Use a straight edge to help you get straight lines when cutting out your squares
- If you like your crackers a bit saltier, feel free to sprinkle some salt on top once you’re done cutting out the squares
- The crackers will look puffy in the oven but they flatten out and are crunchy once you take it out