What’s up: Restaurant Review - Le Faux Bourgeois , Cheap baking substitutes
Summer in Vancouver never lasts as long as I hope it will and it definitely doesn’t last long enough for me to enjoy all my favourite summer treats. You’ve got a week, maybe two weeks left to indulge in the warmth of our shortest season, so before it ends, make sure you give one of these delicious summer desserts a try:
Taiwanese Shaved Ice
Delicious and simple. This dessert is simply a pile of what only could be described as fluffy snow topped with fruit jellies, sweet beans, fresh fruit and a drizzle of condensed milk. Try it at The One restaurant in Burnaby, or Frappe Bliss in Richmond. There's also a great place (so great I can't remember the name currently...) inside Crystal Mall near Metrotown where you can pick seven different toppings for about $5.
|Taiwanese shaved ice with fresh fruit and ice cream|
|Taiwanese shaved ice for the slightly more daring with red beans, grass jelly, ice cream and taro|
Frozen Banana Popsicles
Easiest dessert to make ever. Just peel them, dip them in chocolate and pop them in the freezer. Sprinkle the still-wet chocolate with your favourite toppings such as roasted almonds or toasted coconut shavings for a little something extra and pop them back in the fridge to set.
|Chocolate banana popsicles|
Mocha Ice Cream Pie
|Decadent mocha ice cream pie|
Although I didn’t find any particularly tempting icy dessert recipes on Martha Stewart’s site recently, I did discover a fantastic strawberry coffee cake recipe. With summer winding down, I really wanted to squeeze in the last bit of summer fruit into my baking. I made this recipe in a muffin tin and turned them into delicious little strawberry cake muffins. That’s right, cake muffins. Not exactly cake but not quite muffins either. These dense, yet soft and moist cakes have a sensational strawberry flavour in every bite. It’s laced with just the right amount of vanilla flavour to perfectly compliment the intense taste of strawberry.
Finish off the summer with the last batch of sweet, fresh strawberries with this amazing strawberry cake recipe. I promise you won’t regret giving this one a go.
|Summer Strawberry Coffee Cake|
Strawberry coffee cake
Makes: One 8-inch cake or 12 muffin cakes
Oven: 350 F
Oven: 350 F
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced
- Wash, dry and thinly slice strawberries
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar. Mix well, then add in egg, milk and vanilla extract. In small additions, add in flour mixture and mix on low.
- Add in strawberries and mix in by hand with a spatula. Leave a few extra to place on top for aesthetic purposes. For a little something extra, sprinkle some granulated sugar on top before popping the cake into the oven.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, depending on your oven, until cake is a golden brown. Poke a stick in the middle to check for readiness.
|Prepping strawberry coffee cakes in muffin format|
Tips for baking the perfect strawberry coffee cake muffins
- Make sure to dry the strawberries thoroughly, you want to avoid adding any extra moisture to the cakes.
- Thinly slice the strawberries otherwise the cakes will not cook as thoroughly. It also makes for a fluffier cake texture.
- Grease the tin or pan with butter instead of using muffin liners. The cake tends to stick to the liners.